THEME: ADVOCATING FOR GREEN ECONOMY TOWARDS RIO+20
The involvement of all stakeholders is critical for the success of Rio+20. The International Youth Council Kenya Chapter has been actively involved in the Rio+20 preparatory processes after being engaged I drafting the Kenya Youth Position Paper for Rio+20
Taking place from 17TH -18th APRIL 2012, Utalii Hotel Nairobi.the Green Economy Stakeholders Workshop offers a perfect opportunity to discuss and identify Kenya’s priorities expectations for the Summit outcome as well as the sustainable development challenges affecting the country in our efforts of transition to Green Economy. The workshop aims is to identify Green Economy needs and seek ways to support the efforts been made as well as to share knowledge and learn how to participate by facilitating the transition and addressing these needs.
Rio+20 Summit is an opportunity to improve the well-being and social equity of people while reducing environmental risks with young people should be at the centre of movement that will ultimately effectively eliminating poverty and achieve results agreed on in the MDGs.It is It is demonstrable that given the time, resources, and the opportunity, young people have the ability to take forward the sustainable development agenda that has been elusive since the Rio Summit in 1992.
1. To provide an effective platform for youth participation in sustainable development process of the Rio + 20 that is the key for its success – and this can only be achieved by embedding it in the hearts and minds of young development activists throughout Kenya.
2. To mobilize and create awareness for young people to take ACTION for long term sustainable development activities.
3. To develop a joint recommendations and implementation plan together with government and other stakeholders on sustainable development initiatives.
4. To develop and spearhead transparency, accountability and integrity in transformative leadership towards sustainable development.
The workshop will bring together young people, government officials, media, and representatives from CSOs, NGOs, UN Agencies and development partners. By involving all these stakeholders we will enrich the Green Economy discussions and recommendations made.
Workshop Expected Outcome
1. Development of a long term recommendations and actions for achieving a Green Economy in the country.
2. Promote the creation of a joint partnership agreement with government and other stakeholders for actions taken to achieve sustainable development.
3. Commitment to supporting and participation of young people in all efforts made to achieving sustainable development in the country.
For more information, feel free to contact
Willice Okoth Onyango
The International Youth Council Kenya Chapter